Friday, February 22, 2008

Sharing Windows XP folder with Ubuntu

Since i'm new to ubuntu, all my files were basically residing in windows xp.
As i was working with ubuntu, i thought of relaxing a bit by viewing some photos taken recently. But all of them were sitting inside my xp and i need some way to access it.

Transferring them via usb is an option, but i wanted an even elegant solution. Then i came to know that VirtualBox supports "sharing" folders between "host" and "guest" operating systems.

I read in the VirtualBox manual, that "sharing" folders between "windows" host and "windows" guest is more or less seamless. But "sharing" between "windows" host and "linux" guest need some additional work.

But it's not very tough.

First i needed to configure the shared folder in my VirtualBox. I clicked the menu "Devices->Shared Folders" to configure the sharing. And I choose a folder in my xp machine and gave a share name to that.

Then i opened the terminal in ubuntu and created a directory called share under "mnt" so it looks as "/mnt/share". This required "admin" privileges.

Then i executed the command: sudo mount -t vboxsf myphotos /mnt/share
in the terminal. That's it.

And this how it looked after that in the FileBrowser:

3 comments:

yonkul said...

www.turksohbetim.net

Anonymous said...

I agree with you

Anonymous said...

hi there friends. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching for that singular make. The prices for the boots are about 230 dollars everwhere. But definitively I base this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase them. what do you think?