Monday, February 18, 2008

MS Virtual PC vs VirutalBox

Working on ubuntu running on top of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 started giving me lot of problems. Some of them are:
1. Need lots of tweaking during installation of ubuntu in virtual pc to provide even basic mouse integration. Need to enter additional parameters (i8042.noloop) during boot up and then need to configure some system settings to make the mouse work in ubuntu running under virtual pc.
2. No smooth mouse integration. You need to click inside the virtual operating system for the mouse to be effective inside and need to press "Right Alt" key to come out of virtual os.
3. No mouse scrolling support at all.
4. In a nutshell, virtual pc bothers least about linux environments. No addons, nothing.

So, I started looking for alternatives.

I didn't give much focus to VirtualBox until i read the news about Sun's acquisition about VirtualBox. I respect Sun and their products. So i thought of giving VirtualBox a try.

- Installing ubuntu was smooth.
- No need to tweak any boot options like i did while installing ubuntu on top of virtual pc 2007.
- However i needed to press "Right Ctrl" key to come out of virtual box, initially.
- But, once i installed the "add-ons" for linux, i was amazed at the seamless mouse integration. I could click the firefox icon in windows xp and also on ubuntu on virtualbox (to and fro) without pressing any keys.
- I could scroll my mouse like i can scroll on xp.
- Excellent user interface.

However i have some concerns:

- very small resolution size (800 x 600 against my laptop resolution of 1280 x 780)
- need add-ons to provide usb support.

But overall, I feel that virtualbox is much better than Virtual PC 2007.
I regret for spending much time meddling around with Virtual PC 2007.
The fault is with me, I shouldn't have tried a Microsoft product at first place.

7 comments:

Arturo Ochoa said...

Hi James, I'm also very please with the configuraiton of Ubutnu on my Virutalobox. I'm having the same problem, very small resolution. Please let me know if you manage to increase it. Likewise, I will let you know if I find how to get a better one. Thanks, Arturo

James Selvakumar said...

Hi arturo,
Yup, i'm still figuring it out on how to increase the screen resolution of ubuntu running on virtualbox.

I'll surely blog about it, if i come across any solution.

Anonymous said...

I need virtual pc 2007 integrated mouse add ons :(

Anonymous said...

its virtual , not virutal :)

Anonymous said...

If you have the resolution problem, try editing the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the virtual Ubuntu OS to enable higher resolutions.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the well-priced IT automation tool for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central malware detection
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how we as a society are so hooked onto electronics. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory falls, the possibility of uploading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about almost every day.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running R4i DS OperaV2)