Tuesday, February 19, 2008

OpenSuse 10.3 on VirtualBox

Impressed by ubuntu and being helped by VirtualBox, I decided to explore further into the linux world.

So I thought of installing openSuse 10.3 on my VirtualBox. I downloaded the gnome "live cd" (iso image) from opensuse.org. The download size was around 643 MB and it took quite some time to download the image.

Then I started VirtualBox and added a new empty virtual machine named "OpenSuse-10.3" along with the necessary virtual hard disk. I decided to give 8 GB and 512 MB RAM for opensuse.

Then i mounted the downloaded "iso" image to the virtual machines cd drive and started the empty virtual machine. So the open suse live cd booted (much like ubuntu live cd environment) and then i clicked the "install" icon on the live cd's desktop.

To my surprise, the installation was very very fast and amazingly simple. I would say that my opensuse installation experience was better than what I experienced with ubuntu.

Though ubuntu installation is also quite easy and smooth, opensuse installation was like installing a normal windows application. Great work.

I had to make only very few configurations to proceed with the install and the installation took less than 15 minutes.

Then i unmounted the live cd from the virtual cd drive and then restarted the virtual machine.

Wow, opensuse booted up quite beautifully and now it asked for some minor configurations like username and password.

Great. My opensuse installation was completed in notime.

And did you know what was the first activity I did after installing it? Blogged about it.

Ya. I'm writing this blog from within the opensuse running on top of my VirtualBox.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

any problems with 10.3 in the virtualbox? on their site they say still some problems with 10.2 and don't even mention 10.3. thanks